The states of process is defined by current activity of that process. A process state is indicative of the activity that it is currently performing, various events can cause of a process to change state. The notion of process state is used by an operating system to simplify process scheduling. The various states of process are:
- New :- A process that has just been created by has not yet been admitted the pool of executable process by the operating system.
- Ready :- These processes are prepared to execute when given the opportunity.
- Running :- Running process processes all resources needed for its execution including the processor.
- Waiting/Blocked :- A process cannot execute even of a CPU is available.
- Terminated :- The process has finished its execution. All the tasks is process are completed. A terminated process is then run from the pool of executable process by the operating system.