While programmers have a good deal of freedom in creating flowchart. The (ANSI) has recommended a number of general rules and guideline to help standardize the flow-charting process.
- First chart the main line of logic and them incorporate details.
- Maintain a consistent level of details for a given flowchart.
- Do not chart every detail, otherwise, the flowchart will only be a graphic representation of all the steps of the corresponding program.
- Use common statement that are easy to understand for words within flowchart symbols.
- Be consistent in using names and variable in the flowcharts.
- Go from left to right and top to bottom in constructing flowchart.
- Keep the flowchart as simple a possible.
- If a new flow-charting page is needed, break the flowchart at an input or output point.