In Client-Server Networks, have a central controller called server. A server is a specialized computer that controls the network resources and provides services to other computers in the network.
All other computers in the network are called clients. A client computer receives the requested services from a server.
A server performs all the major operations like security and network management.
All the clients communicate with each other via server.
Server is all responsible for managing all the network resources such as files, directories, applications and hared devices like printer etc.
Most Local Area Networks (LAN) are based on client-server.
Advantage of Client-Server Networks
- In Client-Server, backup is possible.
- Server improves the performance of whole system.
- Security is better in these networks as all the shared resources are centrally administered.
- Use if dedicated servers also increases the speed of sharing resources.
Disadvantage of Client-Server Networks
- It requires servers with large memory and secondary storage.
- The cost of network operating system that manages the various client is also high.
- It requires dedicated network administrator.